The project aims to develop an attractive interactive game-based learning strategy and accompanying resources to support trainers and educators working with disadvantaged young adults, in order to increase their capacity, competency and the resources available to them to promote healthier lifestyles and wider well-being.
To find out which health topics are of particular interest and should thus be considered in the development of the game, all Health Points partners consulted both trainers and young people to ask them about their perceptions and interests.
According to the professionals, there seems to be rather low awareness among youth for health related issues, in turn, young people attach little importance to health issues. Moreover, the professionals see a positive correlation between social, educational and financial status and health awareness. There is also a certain likelihood that those from disadvantaged backgrounds perceive other issues as more relevant and/or pressing in their lives.
The professionals stated that the young people often tend to lack knowledge and habit of proactive self-care – and if they do, then rather for reasons of aspects such as good looks (e.g. physical exercises or special nutrition to combat overweight or to shape the body).
The consultations showed that the young people are aware of unhealthy habits such as smoking cigarettes, drinking alcohol or energy drinks, but they are either not showing any motivation to change their habits (at least not in the short run) or they don’t know how to do it without any negative effects in other areas (e.g. suffering from tiredness).
Consequently, Health Points should offer the possibility to reflect on the current awareness of / perception on health and should include the following aspects:
- the different (influenceable) aspects/areas that make up the current and future state of health
- concept of behavioural patterns, how they can be “inherited”/learnt, and relearnt
- concept of self-responsibility for the good “health” and free choice of life-style
- Benefits and motivating factors promoting a healthy life style – also in the long run
- … thus increasing the positive appreciation and valuing of own health and importance to care for it.