The World Health Organisation recently published a factsheet on the impact of care on carers’ health and well-being. Some of the highlights include:
- Most long-term care in Europe is provided by unpaid informal caregivers
- Women are overrepresented among caregivers
- Male caregivers suffer more often from worsened physical health
- Female caregivers are more likely to experience mental health issues
- The COVID-19 pandemic disproportionately affected caregivers’ health, especially in women, widening the gender gap even further.